Railway and yard locomotive engineers
National Occupation Code (NOC): 7361
Railway locomotive engineers operate railway locomotives to transport passengers and freight. They are employed by railway transport companies. Yard locomotive engineers operate locomotives within yards of railway, industrial or other establishments. They are employed by railway transport companies and industrial or commercial users of rail transport.
Follow This Occupation
Job Duties for Railway and yard locomotive engineers
Railway locomotive engineers
- Operate locomotives to transport passengers and freight on railways
- Operate communication systems to communicate with train crews and traffic controllers to ensure safe operation and scheduling of trains
- Inspect assigned locomotives and test operating controls and equipment.
Yard locomotive engineers
- Operate locomotives to switch, couple and uncouple cars for loading and unloading
- Perform switching operations according to written switching orders or dispatched instructions
- Inspect locomotives, replenish fuel or perform routine maintenance on locomotives.
Working Conditions for Railway and yard locomotive engineers
Work is performed outdoors in rail yards and inside the cabins of locomotives. Safety measures are strictly followed to prevent injury from moving vehicles.
Alternate Job Titles
- Diesel Locomotive Engineer - Railway
- Freight Train Engineer
- Industrial Locomotive Engineer
- Locomotive Engineer - Railway
- Locomotive Hostler
- Passenger Train Engineer
- Passenger Train Locomotive Engineer
- Railway Engineer
- Railway Engineer Trainee
- Railway Hostler
- Railway Locomotive Engineer
- Switch Engineer - Railway
- Train Engineer
- Transfer Hostler - Railway
- Yard Engineer - Railway
- Yard Locomotive Engineer - Railway