Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
National Occupation Code (NOC): 5227
This unit group includes workers who perform support duties related to broadcasting and to the production of motion pictures and the performing arts. They are employed by television and radio stations and networks, recording studios, motion picture and video production companies and by theatre and stage companies.
Follow This Occupation
Job Duties for Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
Camera crane operators
- Set up, assemble, adjust, maintain and replace reels and projector equipment; detect and repair mechanical and electrical problems; and change and install an electronic control panel using automated equipment.
Motion picture projectionists
- Check the condition of the copy; set up and load film reels on movie theatre projection systems, adjust focus, sound levels and other projector and theatre settings; and maintain projection equipment.
Props persons and set builders
- Assemble, repair, place, build and oversee props.
- Distribute scripts to actors; keep detailed notes of all actions, positions and camera angles; and photograph and date scenes.
Grips and riggers
- Rig, place, move and dismantle sets, backdrops, scenery and other stage equipment.
- Clean, maintain, transport and store costumes, and assist performers to dress in costumes.
- Provide support to the director and producer, and are responsible for various aspects of production such as preparing schedules, setting up equipment, and making travel arrangements to various shooting locations.
Working Conditions for Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
Work may be performed indoors or outdoors, depending on the project. Safety measures may be a necessity when working with sets as machinery, tools, and live electricity are involved.
Alternate Job Titles
- Artistic Rigger
- Audiovisual (AV) Assistant - Motion Pictures And Broadcasting
- AV (audiovisual) Assistant
- Best Boy
- Boom Grip
- Boom Microphone Operator
- Boom Operator
- Camera Crane Operator
- Circus Rigger
- Continuity Person - Motion Pictures And Broadcasting
- Dolly Operator - Motion Pictures And Broadcasting
- Dolly Pusher - Motion Pictures And Broadcasting
- Dresser - Motion Pictures, Broadcasting And Performing Arts
- Duplicate-film Examiner - Motion Pictures And Broadcasting
- Entertainment Stage Rigger
- Film Projectionist
- Film Quality Inspector
- Fireworks Handler
- Focus Puller
- Lighting Assistant
- Motion Picture Examiner
- Motion Picture Projectionist
- Movie Theatre Projectionist
- Production Assistant
- Production Assistant - Motion Pictures And Broadcasting
- Property Person
- Props Handler
- Props Person
- Recording Assistant - Recording Studio
- Rigger - Motion Pictures, Broadcasting And Performing Arts
- Scene Shifter
- Scenic Artist - Motion Pictures, Broadcasting And Performing Arts
- Scenic Constructor
- Scenic Constructor - Motion Pictures, Broadcasting And Performing Arts
- Scenic Painter - Motion Pictures, Broadcasting And Performing Arts
- Script Assistant
- Script Person - Motion Pictures And Broadcasting
- Searchlight Operator
- Second Costumes Assistant
- Set Builder
- Set Dresser
- Special Effects Assistant
- Spotlight Operator
- Stage Best Boy
- Stage Production Worker
- Stage Property Person
- Staging Assistant
- Technical Assistant - Audiovisual
- Telecine Operator
- Teleprompt Operator
- Theatre High Rigger
- Wardrobe Assistant
- Wardrobe Attendant
- Wig Assistant - Motion Pictures, Broadcasting And Performing Arts